Monday, May 4, 2015

Pinata Cake & Cupcakes

If you know me really well, you probably know that I get intimidated by making cakes.
I work day in and day out with little cupcakes most of the time. Super cute, mini little, transportable treats with dollops and swirls and fluffs of frosting on top that you can play with like play-dough. ♥  Cakes are intimidating to me because I feel like I have to add an architect/engineer hat to my artist brain.  I have to create a foundation so that the cake won't slide or fall apart. I am way better at creating textured, fancy flouncy frosting swirls on top of adorable little cupcakes than spreading on a perfect sheen of frosting to cake that is so polished it looks like fondant ♥

However...there can be exceptions made.....
When there are pinata cakes involved!!!!!!
A Pinata cake doesn't have to be polished or neat.
It is exploding with fun and celebration from the inside out!
The best thing is that you can fill the cake with any candy or treat you desire.
(I even thought of making a Mountain Dew cake with Doritos coming out of it, maybe I'll do that in the future).


I made matching Pinata Cupcakes to complete a whole "set."
I divided shredded coconut into ziploc bags and added a dot of Americolor Gel Paste to each ziploc bag (colors used here are Electric Pink, Sky Blue, and Electric Yellow). I sealed each baggy shut and danced a little in my kitchen to shake the color into the coconut. I piped frosting onto each cupcake and sprinkled with colored coconut. I piped pretty big fat swirls on top so that the cupcakes would look bigger and more full, but you can put on as much frosting as you desire.


Each Pinata cupcake is filled with Sixlet Pearls as a "SURPRISE"!
And look at how the shredded coconut colors the frosting!
It reminds me of one of those mexican hoodies you can buy at farmers markets.
I use a measuring spoon to scoop a hole out of the center of the cupcake. I keep the cake I scooped out and put it to the side. I fill the hole with pastel Sixlet pearls and cover it again with the the leftover cake from my scooping.

How did I make the pinata cake?
Using my favorite cake recipe, I baked four 8" round layers of cake.
I used a 4" biscuit cutter to cut a hole into the center of 2 out of 4 of my cake layers.

  
Cake Assembly Order:  
A.  Place 1 uncut layer on a cake stand/turntable and spread your favorite frosting on top using a piping bag or a frosting knife.
B.  Top this layer with 1 layer that has the center hole removed. Spread frosting on top but not over or inside the hole.
C.  Top this layer with the other layer that has the center hole removed. Spread frosting on top but not over or inside the hole.
D.  You'll see a big hole in the center of your cake. Fill it with all kinds of goodies! I used Peanut Butter M&Ms, milk chocolate M&Ms, multi-colored gumballs, and chocolate coins in many colors! Can you imagine making a baby reveal cake like this too using pink or blue M&Ms and other colored candies?
E.  Place the final layer on top of the cake.  Using a large frosting knife and your favorite frosting (the more creamy & whipped the better), frost the outside of the cake!



You can even top the pinata cake with another mini sized pinata that is also filled with nummies.

Mind..blown!! ♥


I decorated my pinata cake all fancy schmancy.
Each layer was frosted with a different color before I stacked the cake layers on top of each other!

Just remember, the most fun part of the cake is the inside! Cut a BIG PIECE out of your cake using a large knife..or if you are feeling it, smash the cake.  Either way you'll find something you like, I'm sure of it. My favorite are the chocolate coins. What's yours?
♥♥♥

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At September 7, 2016 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Annette Hansen said...

This is a really cool idea!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

https://theamandacupcake.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service