Sunday, June 19, 2011

Strawberry Fest Cupcakes with Surprise Pies inside!

I am so ecstatic right now. It was about 24 hours ago that I sold out all of my cupcakes in the span of 2 hours at the Strawberry Fest, right outside of Cronie's restaurant in Waupaca. ♥



I had no idea how popular the Strawberry Fest is, and that people were going to adore my cupcakes so much.  It feels so good to make people squeal with delight when they look at my cupcakes! One lady asked if they were actually edible.  Another asked me if I was selling my portfolio as a book. (I had to say no...even though my dream is to write a book about cupcakes somehow!)

My favorite quote of the day was from a new cupcake friend. She posted it on my Amanda Cupcake Facebook page after the Strawberry Fest. People like her make me love love love what I do.

"I'm in love with Amanda Cupcake's cupcakes!!!! Soooo ooober yummy at the strawberry fest... by far the best strawberry feature showing at the event!!! No joke!!!"

I practiced my premiere cupcake recipe before the Strawberry Fest. I actually thought it was going to be an Amanda original.  I thought of it on my own, but then I discovered that many other people have tried this and succeeded as well.  ♥


A strawberry pie inside of a cupcake! The one in the picture above is my White Velvet Cupcake.
YUM.

My main inspiration for this is that cake people aren't usually pie people.
And pie people aren't usually cake people.
But wouldn't it be a perfect world if we could combine both in one beautiful dessert?
So yesterday at the Strawberry Fest, the world was perfect.
Cake and Pie people agreed to compromise.
I think they were happy about it.

The cool thing about these surprise pie cakes-is that you can add the little pies to any flavor of cake you wish.  I suggest buying the boxed cake mix first to experiment.
But once you get that down, the texture of a cake from scratch is *way better* for the pie inside of a cupcake recipe. 


I used ready made pie crust (since I was already making everything else from scratch).  I cut the pie crust into small squares.  Then I used these adorable little pastry tins to mold the pie crusts!
 
I added the strawberry pie filling,  set the pies on a cookie sheet and baked them in the oven on a temp of 425 degrees for about 10 minutes. Then reduced the temperature to 350 degrees and baked for another 10-15 minutes until just light brown.

How cute do they look after you pop them out of the pastry tin? Hint:  use a toothpick or a fork to pop them out of the tin easily.


Pipe a small amount of cake batter onto the bottom of your cupcake liner.  Then insert your mini pie on top of the batter. The pie shouldn't sink to the bottom of the batter. The little pie boat will float nicely on your cake batter.


Then cover the pie with your cake batter! It might look like this. A pie sandwich!
I won't stop you if you decide to eat it right now.
But when it is done baking.......


..Look how beautiful it is to eat.
And I won't forget to mention that the combo of cake & pie is amazing. I used to be one of those "cake" people.  This cake & pie thing has opened me up to a whole new world!



The possibilities are endless now.
You can make swirls.

Or top your cupcake with another mini pie for the ultimate decadence.

Strawberry pie inside of a red velvet cupcake is heaven on earth.


I frosted some to look just like little pies ♥ Looks like someone was about to eat this one! There is a little finger print on the bottom right. Busted!

Here I am, almost sold out at the Strawberry Fest!


Strawberry Pie Filling Recipe:

Ingredients Needed:
1 Cup of Sugar
3 T + 2 tsp Corn Starch
3 T Corn Syrup
1 1/2 Cups of Water
4 T strawberry gelatin (or JELLO)
1 Quart of Strawberries

Slice strawberries. They don't need to be perfect little slices. It is ok if there are chunks.  Eating a pie with random different chunks & shapes of strawberries is more fun!

1.  In a pan on the stove, whisk sugar and cornstarch together
2.  Add Corn Syrup & Water
3.  Continue to whisk until boiling.
4.  Once boiling, whisk for 5 minutes continuously.
5.  Take off stove and add Jello.
6.  Let the mixture cool.
7.  Once cooled, add strawberries to the mixture.
8.  Then add to your mini pies! You can cut a large opening into the end of your pastry bag & pipe the filling into your mini pies.  Or just use a spoon. It's really up to you. ♥

Optional:  Add red sparkly disco dust. (it is edible and fun).




Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At June 19, 2011 at 5:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have done this with a cake, i did a first layer of cake with a white cake mix and had a apple pie inside and then i did the second layer with spice cake and put pumpkin pie inside i put the two layers together and slathered it with a cream cheese frosting..it was a christmas present to my husbands coworkers, they loved it...i used a springform pan to hold cake mix and the pie, i used a store bought pie and cut off the edges of the pie..i will have to try with cupcakes now...hmmm white cake with a blueberry pie, yummers...

 
At June 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM , Blogger Amanda Cupcake said...

That sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! A whole cake like that?! :) MmmMmMM. Thank you for sharing!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 8:16 AM , Anonymous Megan said...

Oh Amanda!! You are so amazing with those wonderful little cakes!! I can't believe all the things you have come up with for them!! So very talented! And to top it all off, you are as sweet as your creations!! Keep 'em coming girl! I always look forward to seeing what you come up with next!! Can't wait to see the baseball ones I ordered! Take care and talk to you soon!! Megan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

https://theamandacupcake.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service