Friday, July 1, 2011

Freedom Is Sweet.

It is almost the 4th of July.


Things I love about the 4th:

  • The hot summer weather. This is the kind of weather I pray for when it is below zero and won't stop icing or snowing.
  • Watching kids ride their bikes through town, eating pushups, the sherbet dribbling down.  It makes me really nostalgic of the days when summer vacation was my escape from any responsibility.
  • Picnic tables with colorful displays of blueberries, strawberries, and cool whip.
  • The sound of random crackling fireworks in the distance.
  • Spelling words out with sparklers in the night sky.
  • Laying down on the cool grass and watching colors light up the sky right when the sun goes down.  Hearing people say "oooh" and "aaaaah".
  • Freedom. I can feel it in the air. And I am thankful that I have sweet freedom.
I created this cupcake kaleidoscope for the 4th of July.  I think it might just awaken that 4th of July nostalgia.  And reminds me just how sweet freedom can be.



I baked this one inside the mason jar.
You can do this at home too.
I used red velvet & white cake.

I colored half of the white cake batter blue.  Then put the red velvet, white, and blue cake batter in separate pastry bags. First I piped a layer of red velvet. Second, a layer of white. Third, a layer of blue. The lines don't have to be perfect. It's better if they aren't. Then set on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. The cake batter will overflow a bit, but you can wipe it off easily after you take it out of the oven and let it cool.


After it cooled, I swirled some frosting on top and added sprinkles. For an "Amanda Cupcake" touch I added some edible glitter to the top rim of the jar!

Then I added some sparkly ribbon and a wooden spoon.  (And Yes you can actually eat this out of the jar with the wooden spoon! I did!)  I cut a glittered cardstock heart out and labeled it with the flavor.

This cupcake kaleidoscope is made after the cupcakes were already baked.  This is about creating my own magic in a jar. I just stacked layers of frosting & cupcakes and sprinkles together. 

This was the very pretty and patriotic result.



The grand finale..........................

Oooh! Aaaah!


Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At July 1, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So very very awesome!

So you can put cake mix in a mason jar and bake it? I must live under a rock - I never knew that?

And with the 2nd pictures - did you just make it separately and then place them in a mason jar?

Thanks for sharing. You have a new follower!

 
At July 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM , Blogger Amanda Cupcake said...

Awesome! and Thank you! Nice name btw :)
But yes you can put cake batter in a jar and bake it. I use a pastry bag to make it a little bit easier to get it in there.
And the 2nd ones-yep, those were added after I baked. I like to add layers of frosting in between and all kinds of fun sprinkles. THat makes it fun. Just cut the cupcakes in half, then layer with frosting and sprinkles. Of course I always add a surprise on the bottom before I add my cupcakes and frosting.

 
At July 1, 2011 at 5:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know how long cupcakes in a jar can last if refrigerated?

 
At July 1, 2011 at 10:34 PM , Blogger Amanda Cupcake said...

If refrigerated, about 7 days. If frozen, they can last a month or so.. maybe even longer. When they are thawed they are like new :)

 
At July 6, 2011 at 6:18 PM , Blogger sohirach said...

i absolutely LOVE these.

GREAT blog!

follow me?
www.so--hi.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

https://theamandacupcake.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service