Baking is meant to be fun. You shouldn't be afraid of it.
It should be all about combining your favorite things in the world..and then eating them.
Or sharing them if you can get them out your door first without eating them.
Which is why I think it is really fun to melt candy bars, and pour other delicious things into basic buttercream frosting. In this case, the cupcakes I call "Out Of This World" cupcakes.
I make a basic chocolate cupcake and this is what it ends up looking like in the end.
I fill the inside of the chocolate cupcake with chocolate ganache. And if you eat it while it is warm, this is what it looks like. ♥
Are you ready for what is in the frosting? Melted Milky Way Candy Bars. Caramel. And Spoonfuls of Chocolate Ganache. I even add some of the chocolate ganache to the edges of the cupcake liners sometimes because it looks pretty.
Instead of keeping the candy bars all neat, sometimes I tear them apart to expose the caramel beauty inside. I also add gold or silver edible glitter to accentuate that whole "space rock" look. But this is an edible space rock!
Out of This World Cupcake Recipe, because I want to share the fun with you:
Recipe Adapted From: BruCrew Life. Thank you for the inspiration!
Chocolate Cupcakes from Scratch:
(you can also use a devils food cake mix and add melted caramel squares to the mix, also I recommend using buttermilk or instant coffee in place of your water. Why use water in a recipe when there are so many other tasty liquids you can add to your boxed cake mixes?)
2 Cups Sifted Flour
3 oz of unsweetened cocoa (preferably in melting squares)
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp Salt
First Part of Mixing: 1 Beaten Egg
Second Part of Mixing: 2 Eggs
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
First Part of Mixing: 1/2 Cup Milk
Second Part of Mixing: 2/3 Cup Milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
8 Melted Caramel Squares
1. Combine Chocolate, 2/3 Cup of your sugar, 1/2 Cup Milk, and Beaten Egg in Pan on stove. You can also melt your square caramels in the blend at this point if you want to add these.
2. Cook over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
3. Cool until it is just about to reach room temperature.
4. Then add 1/2 C Butter to soften. It should be warm enough that your butter can still melt.
5. In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients.
6. In your Kitchen Aid Mixer, Cream the Sugar, 2 Eggs & Vanilla together.
7. Then alternately add your dry ingredient mixture with the 2/3 Cup of milk.
8. Blend in your luscious chocolate mixture for dark chocolate goodness.
9. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. These should turn out puffy and beautiful. This recipe makes about 24 Chocolate Cupcakes.
Chocolate Ganache Recipe:
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream.
In a saucepan on the stove, bring Heavy Whipping Cream to an almost boil.
As soon as it starts to boil, remove from heat and add 1 Cup Chocolate Chips.
Stir Until the Chocolate Chips are completely melted and you have a shiny glaze. ♥
You can add this Chocolate Ganache to the inside of the cupcakes for a delicious surprise.
What you have all been waiting for..The Out of This World Frosting Recipe!
For the Buttercream Frosting:Optional: 8 oz of Marshmallow Fluff as your base.
8 oz of unsweetened butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
2 T milk
appx 4 Cups of Confectioners Sugar
To add to the Buttercream Frosting:
8 mini Milky Way Bars, cut into small squares/pieces
2 Tablespoons of unsweetened butter
2 Tablespoons of Chocolate Ganache
You will also need: A stove & a saucepan.
Instructions for Frosting:
1. In your Kitchen Aid mixer, beat your Marshmallow Fluff, Butter, Vanilla, Salt, and Milk together.
2. Add powdered sugar until it is the thickness that you like.
3. Take out your saucepan and throw your milky way squares and 2 Tablespoons of butter inside over medium heat.
4. Stir constantly until it is a goopy caramel-y chocolate naughty yummy hot mess.
5. Remove from the heat as soon as it is melted-you don't want it to burn.
6. Whip in to your buttercream frosting. Your buttercream will turn brown and caramel-esque.
7. Your frosting is almost done.
8. One last thing I add while I am decorating: a few random spoonfuls of chocolate ganache. Don't mix completely into the frosting. Just throw spoonfuls of it into your pastry bag along with the Milky Way frosting..and it will come out as a chocolate ganache swirl... like this:
The chocolate ganache in the frosting really makes the cupcakes look Out Of This World. ♥